Mug cakes are the ultimate dorm hack when you need dessert but you don’t actually have an oven. It might not seem necessary to keep all of your baking basics in your dorm room, but you never know when you might have the chance to use the community kitchen and do some real baking. The best part about this recipe is that you can mix things up with different toppings or by adding things like chocolate chips and nuts to the batter!
Yield: 2 Servings
- 1/2 Cup of flour
- 1/2 Cup of sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon of melted butter
- 1 Teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 Egg
- 1 Tablespoon of milk
- 1 Pinch of salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon of baking powder
- Mix dry ingredients thoroughly.
- Add melted butter first, then the rest of the wet ingredients.
- Mix until mostly smooth.
- Add chocolate chips, caramel, hazelnut extract or other optional toppings and mix to add a little personality to your cake.
- Divide into two microwave safe mugs.
- Microwave on high for ~2 minutes. You will be able to see the cake rise.
- Carefully touch the top to see if it is firm.
- If the cake is not set, continue to add another 30 seconds until it is.
- Top with peanut butter, ice cream, or whipped cream and enjoy!
(Careful it’s really hot!)